Saturday I was at last able to return to the site of the Glacier Lilies of 2 weeks ago. And there are more than ever. I got this great close-up shot, which very clearly shows the pollen-filled anthers atop the stamens. I brought a flower home and playing with a needle and magnifying glass, picked open an anther, revealing the yellow pollen inside.
But my attempts (all 3 of them) to unearth a corm were dismal failures. In 2 of my excavation attempts the underground stem broke off in the rocky soil and I was unable to relocate the lower end. In the third attempt I think I reached the corm but shattered and scattered it in the soil as I dug. I hope to make another attempt, but ran out of patience and became chagrined at the holes I was leaving in the hillside. Talk about inept; bears dig them up all the time, Indians made them a regular seasonal component of their cuisine, and I, with a modern trowel and knowledge, can’t manage to dig up even one in coherent form.
Sunday afternoon I went up
Sunday morning I found 2 new flowers along Shoreline trail: Utah Milkvetch, which I found and identified last week on
I also found something far more sinister (pictured left) which is already visible in abundance. I’ll come back to this evil character in a future post.
At about 5PM my wife headed out to a yoga class, and, too lazy to cook, I took the kids to the Blue Plate Diner for dinner. We sat outside in the sun, enjoying the novelty of shirtsleeve weather after so long a winter.
Tangent: This coming weekend I plan to head down South with my buddies to Gooseberry Mesa in
Post a Comment